Ready to recover
Do not rely on digital documentation in case of emergency
Since digital data may not be accessible during a breakdown important information like configuration, recovery plans, fail over strategies, responsibilities and contact data has to be available in other ways.
Based on experience
Like many other WOTAN documentation features, the Emergency Manual has been implemented in close cooperation with our WOTAN MONITORING users. Many IT-departments are aware of the importance of an Emergency Manual, but do not have enough resources or time for maintaining such a manual.
Inspired by combining WOTAN Wiki and the WOTAN Configuration Report, creating an Emergency Manual including these important and up-to-date documentation automatically was obvious. Thanks to the MediaWiki extension "PdfBook" and valuable feedback of our users the project could be realised quite easily. The mentioned extension allows to select and arrange individual MediaWiki Articles and print them as PDF document.
The WOTAN Emergency Manual features:
- Integration of automatically created WOTAN Wiki articles;
- Usage of up-to-date information provided by WOTAN Configuration Report;
- Structure and article templates proposed by BSI (Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik);
- Including individual articles;
- Creation of multiple book templates;
- Automatic report generation with a scheduler.